Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Putting our House on the Market - the Migraine Way

After much consideration, hubby and I decided to put our house on the market. We love our house and the thought of moving makes both our stomachs turn but we stand to save some significant money by moving to another part of the county, plus hubby can shorten his commute. We have not committed to moving but we have committed to giving it a try.  So here we are.

Thankfully there wasn't a whole lot of work that needed to be done to prepare the house for showings so we were able to get it on the market pretty quickly. Because of my chronic migraines and fibromyalgia, having a simple get-out-of-the-house-quickly plan was most important. I needed a simple plan so that if I needed to prepare for a showing during a migraine, I could do so without much work and without much thought.

To that end I put together two bug-out bags. One has all of our small electronics and financial stuff in it and the other has all of my prescription drugs and some water. I've also stashed an eye mask in the clove compartment just in case I need to shut out the light.

So far, we've had plenty of notice for the showings but you never know when someone will want to get in right away. My plan has removed most of the stress from the situation.

I've uncovered an unanticipated downside to letting strangers into our home. Someone came through wearing so much perfume that I could smell it for more than an hour after they left. I tend to believe nobody should ever wear so much perfume that the smell lingers that long. I wish I could ban people like that from coming in here. My migraines have made me very sensitive to smells so I was quite annoyed when we returned home and had to endure this woman's perfume for a time. Although, if I had to choose, I would pick perfume over cigarette smoke any day.

Honestly, I don't know that there is any way to prevent such things from happening so I've resigned to just put up with it. After all, it's not as if everyone coming through leaves their smell behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment