Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Metatarsal Pain

I've known my entire adult life that foot problems were eventually going to become an issue for two main reasons. First, I have very high arches. Second, my feet are mainly skin and bone. What I didn't expect was that it would begin before I reached my 40s. 

Nevertheless, here I am. Laid up with terrible metatarsal pain. If I hadn't been so distracted with my low back pain, endometriosis complications, computer trouble and my usual migraine and fibro stuff I might have paid closer attention to the sore soles I've been dealing with most of the summer. Such is life. 

Everything kinda hinges on using my feet so this has become my top priority. I don't want to go to the doctor if I don't have to so I've decided to consult Dr. Google first. Seems like there is a lot I can do on my own - resting the foot, icing the area, ibuprofen, arch supports, orthopedic shoes and such. I can do that. 

I can deal with orthopedic shoes and inserts for the rest of my life. In fact, part of me actually thinks that sounds nice. Sure, another part of me will miss wearing flip flops but I mostly just loved wearing them because it allowed so much air flow around my foot during the sweltering summer months. These days, one can get a nice summer orthopedic sandal so I'm not too worried. 

The only thing that concerns me is what to do when I'm at home, which is the vast majority of my time. I never wear shoes at home. I hate having my feet confined in a shoe for long periods of time. I don't want shoes on my furniture nor do I want to have to take them off and put them on every time I sit down and stand up again. Whenever I'm at home I'm in a slipper but slippers don't provide arch support of lasting cushions. Making matters worse, almost all of our flooring is hard, either wood or linoleum, which the Mayo Clinic and WebMD agree is not good for this problem. 

I just don't want to become one of those people who wears shoes all the time. Now I should get back to my Google research. If you have any suggestions for great shoes or inserts, I would love to hear them.

2 comments:

  1. I need arch support. In the winter in the house I wear Haflinger clogs which have quite good arch support. And I only wear them indoors. In the summer I use slip-on sandals as slippers that have good arch support. The ones I use are Finn brand, which are extremely expensive, but I'm sure you could find something else. Yes, I do have to slip them on and off all the time, but I have gotten used to it. My favorite source for info on shoes for problem feet is the blog https://www.barkingdogshoes.com/.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for these great suggestions!!

      Delete