Pages

Monday, October 5, 2015

Mother Nature Does NOT Know Best

Someone recently said to me that Mother Nature knows best, in the context of a conversation about my endometreosis and the female cycle. The statement wasn't a judgement or anything, more of a expression of a general view about medicine and our bodies but it got me thinking.

While that's a lovely thought and I wish it was true, Mother Nature has done me wrong - seriously wrong. I honestly don't care if eliminating my periods entirely isn't the best thing for my body. I need to do it in order to function and control the all-consuming, debilitating pain that now accompanies my period. I'm just super thankful that we can intervene and correct or at least aid in the correction of dealing with the problems Mother Nature has caused.

Overall, I actually think Mother Nature is great. I'm a big fan. Truly. But she does get it wrong sometimes. Certainly my endometriosis is only one of several things that have gone wrong with my body, and one of thousands that could possibly go wrong. Sure, not everything that goes wrong needs medical intervention but many things do. The idea that Mother Nature knows best just seems absurd to me.

The thing is, we have to weigh our options and decide what risks are worth taking. I hate that I take so much Ibuprofen because there are several serious risks involved. Sure, I take precautions like always taking it with food and a full glass of water but I still don't know what the ultimate price will be. I hate the way my triptan makes me feel but if it does lesson my migraine pain and improves my ability to function and cope with the migraines I can treat. I don't want to take muscle relaxers every night but I do because without it my migraine pain would be constant. I didn't want to start taking hormones to eliminate my periods but I'm doing it because it will help me control the intense pain.

Every intervention has consequences, which is why I only intervene when I feel like I need to. And when I do, I don't feel the least bit bad about it. In fact, I'm extremely thankful for my meds. I can't imagine what I'd do without them. I don't know what sort of long-term damage I might be doing to my body but I know that my quality of life is greatly improved because of the medicine I take. And it's further improved by natural remedies like staying hydrated, regularly doing light exercises, having professional adjustments, meditation, etc. Alone those natural remedies would not be enough. For me, for now, I need modern medicine to step in because Mother Nature does NOT know best.


1 comment:

  1. I have to agree, Mother Nature does get it wrong sometimes. I have to agree. I don't like that I take too much stuff too but what can we do? Sometimes, we just have to. I am happy that modern medicine can do something for us at times too. I hope that stopping your periods will really help your pains.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete