Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

Negative Emotions are Valid Emotions


Here I am again. In that emotional/mind space of frustration, disappointment and sadness over all my limitations. Despite having periods of time when I feel like I'm dealing with everything pretty well, I also have these periods of time when I'm not. Call it the natural ebb and flow of emotions, or perhaps just a piling up of undone stuff and canceled plans that eventually just wear me down - whatever the impetus, here I am.

Part of me wants to employ some positive thinking. Put things in perspective by focusing on all the wonderful blessings in my life. Truth be told, I am a very lucky woman with many blessings. No doubt this would be a great way to lift myself out of this funky space. But, another part of me wonders if it isn't better to just spend a day or two allowing myself to mourn my losses. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about dwelling for weeks or months on end. But...

Isn't sadness and anger a completely natural and valid human reaction to living with chronic illnesses?

I tend to think so and, because I do, I feel like it's okay to allow myself some time to just feel sad or angry for a bit. I don't want to ignore or stuff my feelings. I don't want to pretend like I only ever feel positive emotions. It simply is not true or even realistic. So here I am, feeling blue and it's okay. Positive emotions will prevail again in the days ahead.




No comments:

Post a Comment