Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Style of Chronic Pain

Yesterday was day one of the house build. The ground is now broken and, if all goes well (knock on wood) then we'll be moving in sometime early December. Now that the clock has officially started I can think of little else besides design, style, color, blinds, curtains, rugs, appliances...basically all the details of making this house our home. I'm watching design shows and spending way too much time browsing for inspirational images on Pinterest.com. 

Since we won't be able to afford to do much to the house for a while after we move in and even then it will be one thing at a time, I want to be clear about the overall design direction we are headed in. Nothing worse than wasting money on stuff that won't work long term. This is really the first time I've ever put any energy into really figuring out my design style. In the past I've always just enjoyed playing with different styles and colors. Several different styles appeal to me so playing is just what made sense. 

As I look to define and create the perfect space for us, I can't deny that my chronic pain plays a big part. It has already informed many of the construction decisions we got to make. Now, as I sort through the finer details of the aesthetic and look to edit the stuff we already have, I see just how much chronic pain has also impacted my sensibilities. 

No matter how much I love the clean lines of contemporary spaces my pain makes me shy away in favor of warmer, softer spaces. No matter how much I love the details and craftsmanship of a Victorian space my pain makes me shy away in favor of a space that is easier to clean and less formal. No matter how much I love bold colors and playing with different designs my pain makes me shy away in favor of something more timeless because I just don't have the energy to keep changing things up anymore. 

Good thing I have such broad taste, otherwise it might be difficult to make these adjustments. On the flip side, defining my style would be so much more difficult to do if not for the chronic migraines and fibromyalgia. Wow, I may have just stumbled on the one upside of chronic pain.

While I have yet to truly define my style the new rules are as follows:
1. Everything in the space must be something we love.
2. Everything in the space must be beautiful and functional.
3. Less is more.

Thankfully hubby doesn't care much about these things so it is all in my hands. Thankfully for him I am not drawn to anything overtly feminine. 

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful that my housemate and her husband are more interested in redoing parts of the house than I am. I don't have the energy or the strength. One of the things that I have wanted to do for a while was rip up all the carpet in the upstairs hallway, stairs, and bedrooms. Well, the other Heather is now ripping up the carpeting on the stairs going upstairs.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete