Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Oh Memory, How You Trouble Me! #MHAMBC

There are so many troublesome symptoms associated with chronic migraines. While I wouldn't say that any one symptom is worse than another, I would say that each one takes its own toll on me physically and emotionally. The loss of my memory and my ability to recall things that I know has taken the biggest hit to my sense of self.

It's humiliating to not have access to even the most basic information when you need it. It's frustrating when the brain just won't function the way it used to. The worse the pain, the worse my brain functions. But even when the pain isn't bad I can't count on my brain. My body is always gearing up for or recovering from the pain phase of the migraine and memory/recall is part of all the phases for me.

So how do I cope?

When I'm having a conversation I often just apologize for myself and move on. That I can deal with. What I don't cope with well is being put on the spot, quizzed about something, or when the people I'm speaking with  get impatient with me. The truth is that I can't always control my brain and it's not my fault. Having that fact highlighted and thrown in my face is just so humiliating and makes me so angry. I hope that when I find a good therapist I will learn to deal with this better.

June 2013, Migraine and Headache Awareness Month, is dedicated to Unmasking the Mystery of Chronic Headache Disorders. The 2013 Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is a project ofFightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment