Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

Migraine Awareness Month #3 #MHAM #MHAM13 #MHAMBC

After years of living with chronic migraines I finally stopped believing that eventually the doctors would figure out why my episodic migraines suddenly turned chronic, thus leading to a magic fix. At the time I think I needed to believe the end of this misery was just around the corner. When I finally began to accept the reality of life with chronic migraines I began to open up to making some big lifestyle changes to help me manage my symptoms and live the best I could despite my situation.

Here are some of the big changes I've made so far:

- I became a vegetarian. It didn't make any kind of difference to my migraines, but it has made a huge difference to my overall health. Making this switch has helped me to discover my passion for food and for cooking. I've learned so much about food, health and myself since making this big switch.

- I began exercising regularly again. For the first few years that I had chronic migraines I didn't exercise much at all because I was always in pain and didn't feel like it. I finally realized how important it is to remain physically active so I learned what gentle exercises were more appropriate for me.

- I began practicing relaxation techniques and meditation. I have to admit that I'm not great at either. The lack of success I've had with it has lead me to become rather inconsistent with it in 2013. This summer I plan to reincorporate it into my daily routine because I know eventually It'll get easier and I will see the benefits.

- I'm working on developing and sticking to a more regular routine. It's been difficult since we moved to an area of the country with lots of family nearby. Most people don't need routine and regularity the way I do but I've come to realize that going to bed and waking up at the same time, eating healthy food at consistent times, drinking lots of water throughout the day, staying away from the myriad of everyday things that trigger my migraines and even allowing myself time to rest between activities makes a big difference. Keeping this regular schedule isn't always possible but I think I can do better than I have in the last couple years.

- Adopting a lap dog. I've said it before, several times, and I'll say it again, my sweet little dog Gypsy has been a wonderful blessing. She gets me out of the house walking every day. She snuggles by my side all day. Petting her and holding her and even taking care of her brings me so much comfort and joy.

The plan for the coming months is to continue to find positive ways to better manage my symptoms and cope with my chronic migraine life. Here are some of the things I'm already planning to do:

- Find a counselor to help me work through all the emotions.
- Find an acupuncturist.
- Find a massage therapist.


June 2013, Migraine and Headache Awareness Month, is dedicated to Unmasking the Mystery of Chronic Headache Disorders. The 2013 Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is a project ofFightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

1 comment: