Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Day 5: What You Can Do For Me #MHAM

Okay I have to admit that I'm choosing to do one of the alternate prompts today because I just don't understand the scheduled prompt. The prompt I chose is "Evita: Don't Cry for me Argentina: We don't want to be pitied, but we aren't always open about telling people how they can help us. How would you like to be helped?"

I'm just like every other person in the world in that what I really want is to be heard, understood and appreciated. Living with chronic migraines I am almost never heard, understood or appreciated. People judge and dismiss me all the time. I like to think it's because they just don't know how to deal with someone like me. Whatever the reason, it's hurtful and makes my already challenging days more challenging. 

The biggest help anyone could give me would be to take the time to listen and really see me for the whole person I am. Even though I don't work outside the home, I am still a person of value, an intelligent woman who has a lot to offer. In this day and age it's very unlikely that people will start taking the time to really listen to the people around them so I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Here are a few, more practical, ways I would like to be helped:
 - Don't get upset if I need to bow out early or if I have to cancel plans. 
 - Please keep in mind how painful bright lights, loud noises and strong smells are when you are with me. I can enjoy a lot more of our time together if you are not bombarding me with triggers.
 - Just trust me on this one: I am more informed and more current on everything migraine related than you are. I am working hard every day to do all that I can. Just trust me - IT IS TRUE. 

June 2013, Migraine and Headache Awareness Month, is dedicated to Unmasking the Mystery of Chronic Headache Disorders. The 2013 Migraine and Headache Awareness Month Blog Challenge is a project ofFightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment