Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Whimsy Wednesday

Far to often these days I don't pay enough attention to the things that stir my soul. The collective noise of all the pain and domestic tasks occupy so much of my brain power, time and energy that I end up going months at a time without balancing out my pragmatism with the whimsy, passion, intensity and beauty of art.

Occasionally I'm reminded of how neglectful I've been towards this side of me. I promise myself I'll do better and almost immediately am again swept into the same pattern of neglect. I used to do these things regularly and naturally but I now realize things are just too different. There is plenty of blame to go around too: chronic pain, lack of time/energy, being married... If I truly want to feed this side of myself, which I do, the time has come to develop a system of regular attention to it. 

To that end I've decided to start Whimsy Wednesday, highlighting things that stir or feed the whimsical side of this migrainista. 

Today's whimsy may not be traditional but has always stirred me. November Rain by Guns N' Roses:


Normally I'm not a Guns N' Roses fan but I have loved this song and this video since the first time I heard/saw it back in the day. The big picture is both passionate, exciting and heartbreaking. But more specifically I love all the heavy guitar (especially the solos), the use of orchestra, the way the song turns 7 minutes in, they build intensity with layered chaos. It's a feast for the ears and the soul. 


No comments:

Post a Comment