Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Style and Practicality

In a continuing effort to downsize and simplify my life I've been putting some thought into my wardrobe. Even after getting rid of several bags of clothes a few months back I still have a number of items that I don't really wear and am not really sure why I keep. Sounds like an easy fix, right? Just get rid of the items that don't get worn and I certainly will, but before doing anything I want to back up and re-approach my wardrobe with more intention.

Now I've heard that you should have a style icon(s) and that should help direct your wardrobe decisions. I've also heard that if you want to build a lasting wardrobe you should stick with mostly classic choices instead of trends. Sounds like great advice.

Having never thought about a style icon before I started looking at pictures of celebrities who appeal to me, finding one who stood out style wise: Keri Russell.



Love the structured, well fitted, casual yet put together feel of her style. Sometimes with a bit of a bohemian edge. Classic, yet age appropriate and fresh. It helps that we are about the same age and of similar body type. These are the kinds of looks I would like to wear when out and about and feeling not-so-bad.

Of course, as a migrainista, this doesn't happen all that often. Most of the time I'm in my comfy coping clothes. I'm not at all ready to adjust this part of my wardrobe but after seven years of chronic pain maybe it's time my wardrobe ratio is more reflective of the way my time is spent. Right now my comfy clothes only make up about 1/3 of my wardrobe but get about 90% of the use.

Time to start getting rid of items. Not only the items that I never wear but also the ones that don't really fit into the style I want to achieve. A handful of these items are really nice and barely used so I can consign them and redirect them into something more classic for myself.

Do you have a style icon?

No comments:

Post a Comment