Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Thank You Thursday


Dear Murphy's Law,

Thank you for showing up just before Christmas. It's as if you knew that getting a cold now is just what I needed. Since my body struggles with basic tasks daily, the smallest illness will dig it's heels in and take me down, lingering longer than it should. I tend to think that my body gets so busy fighting against all the pain, nausea and crap that when a bug comes along it just doesn't have the energy it once did to fight it off quickly.

Whatever the reason, the cold is here and Christmas is less than 2 weeks away. I am determined to get better before my hosting duties on the 25th. But part of me thinks this going to be a life lesson in "perfection is not happiness". Letting go now, letting go now, letting go now.

Dear Honeybaked Ham Co.,

Thank you for shaking some sense into me yesterday. I walked into your store thinking I would make arrangements to buy a ham for Christmas dinner. I walked out thinking there is no way I was going to do that. You tried to make it sound like a perfect solution. You would glaze the ham, bake the ham, even slice the ham for me.

But them came the details. I had to pick it up on the 23rd. You say the ham is fine in the fridge for 7 to 10 days and all I have to do is let is sit on the counter until it reaches room temp. Meat shouldn't be kept in the fridge for more than 2 days, so what have they done to this meat to make it good for 7 to 10 days. And you tell me that heating the meat will only dry it out. I may not be a meat eater myself but still I'm not about to serve 2 day old, over processed, room temperature meat for Christmas. As if all of that wasn't bad enough, you had the nerve to charge $60 for this small ham!

Yeah, I don't think so.



2 comments:

  1. Bummer you are sick :( I hope you can shake this before Christmas!

    Honey Baked Ham is soooooo good, but very expensive. It has been a few years since I've bought one. For Thanksgiving, I packed a spiral cut ham in brown sugar, wrapped it in heavy aluminum foil, and put it in my big electric roaster. It was so good I don't think my family will ever want a honey baked ham again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One fall I worked for Honeybaked ham. I took the orders over the phone. $60 for the small ham is crazy! I do hope that this cold is history by Christmas!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete