Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Saving Money

I've always considered myself pretty frugal. Some might say cheap. Either way there are skills that I've developed through the years that help me be this way: watching sales, using coupons, using washable towels instead of disposable ones, etc. There are probably more things I could do but I do tend to draw the line - mostly as a result of growing up with a step-mom who is a hoarder.

Recently I've been drawn into the show Extreme Cheapskates. Originally because I thought I might be able to pick up a couple workable techniques to save more money. These people are not flushing their toilets very often, they are washing their clothes in the shower, they dumpster dive for food, they don't use toilet paper...you get the idea. What I've found is that this is too extreme for me. I've not yet picked up a single new idea that I could see myself doing.

Yet, I can't stop watching. I am so curious about who these people are and what makes them go to such extreme measures to save a couple dollars. But it did get me wondering if anything I do to save money others might consider to be extreme. Perhaps the most "extreme" thing I do is turn glass jelly jars and such into glasses for drinking out of.

What about you? What the most extreme thing you do to save money?

2 comments:

  1. Most extreme thing I do to save money is be content with what I have and that includes having two pair of shoes instead of a dozen or more like my women friends. Second hand clothes, too, comprise 90% of my wardrobe. I buy new undies and sox; all else has been broken in for me already !~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contentment - what a beautiful state. I'm finding that to be a big part of the whole downsizing stuff.

    ReplyDelete