Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Moved. Again.

The long moving weekend is happily behind us now. It was actually over on Saturday afternoon but, as you can imagine, I needed some time to recuperate before plugging back in. Now that we're finally here with all our stuff my days can ease up a bit. Not to discount the mountain of boxes that surround us in every room, there is still a ton of work to do, but for the most part the unpacking can happen at my pace (slow).

No matter how hard I try to keep up with my usual routine and minimize my tendency to overdo it when we move I never seem to succeed. In hindsight, the only realistic way that could happen is if I didn't have to be involved in the actual physical move. Whether that means we hire movers or we can round up enough friends/family to help so that I don't have to.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't exactly do a ton of the actually physical labor of moving. Unfortunately, any amount is too much. Especially since all of the packing and unpacking is on me, which is actually pretty labor intensive. Add on all the stress of the move and I'm left with a perfect storm of pain.

I think we're both kind of reached the award age for moving. When you're in your early twenties you (and your peers) do a lot of moving and basically for the cost of a pizza you have all the help you need, and in my case all kinds of energy to keep up with everyone else. Now we're in our mid thirties and our peers are married with children, most of whom have had a more traditional health and career paths that has left them more settled and financially able to hire movers. I actually don't know anyone my age who has moved as much as we have. 

Our path is our path and I don't mean to try to draw a comparison here. But all this moving just becomes increasingly difficult because of where we are in life. HOWEVER, we have moved into a situation that will allow us a unique opportunity to save a good amount of money up for our eventual purchase of a home where we will settle in.

I must get back to it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment