Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Trigger Trouble #NMAM #NMAMBC

Identifying, managing and avoiding triggers are supposed to be a big part of managing and avoiding migraines. Sounds easy enough, right?

Well, not always. I've spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out what my triggers are in hopes that I can cut down on the severity and frequency of my migraines. Through this process I learned that my biggest trigger is living. The very fact that I'm alive in this world is enough of a reason for my head to whirl out of control and take me down.

Either everything can trigger my migraines, or nothing triggers my migraines. Honestly, I am not sure which it is. Any strong smells, sounds, bright lights, too much movement, not enough movement, anything that puts pressure on my head or neck, not enough sleep, too much sleep, too much activity, reading too long, having long conversations, bending down too much, basically life is one big trigger. And it is impossible to avoid.

I am attempting to manage it though. The idea is to practice moderation and pacing. It is this practice that is the real challenge. Life speeds up and slows down. Things happen that you can't plan for. That's life. Even under the best of circumstances this practice is a challenge to my natural tendencies and habits. Add in any kind of change and all sense of pacing and moderation go out the window.

As much as I wish I could impart some wisdom as to how it's done, I'm not exactly the post child for a balanced migrainista - at least not yet. The biggest thing I'm doing right, at this time, is keeping at it with the hope that one day I'll get the hang of it.

"National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com."

1 comment:

  1. It's sad that there is often no "rhyme or reason" for our migraines. And it's hard when a well-meaning person asks "Can't they find out what's causing these?"

    ReplyDelete