Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

From The Outside Looking In #NMAM #NMAMBC


Living with chronic pain is a tough thing to imagine if you have never had the experience. Everyone experiences pain, fatigue, headaches and the like but when these things are part of your daily life it is a whole different ball of wax. Inevitably, well-meaning people say things that really highlight this lack of understanding.

All together the things they say paint a picture in my head of what they imagine my life is like. And it is nothing close to reality. They think I have all the time in the world to do whatever I want, whenever I want. They think my days are essentially their vision of what they would love to do if they didn't work.

Of course, this vision completely ignores the fact that the only reason I'm home is because pain, fatigue, migraines, brain fog, and all are a big part of my daily life. I can't function like all my able bodied friends and family. Additionally, this vision ignores the fact that just because I don't have a paid job, doesn't mean I don't have obligations and responsibilities. I do, plus I'm constantly trying to control my symptoms.

When you are outside looking in it's never easy to see what's really on.

"National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com."

3 comments:

  1. isn't that the truth? "When you are outside looking in it's never easy to see what's really on". I love that! It is so true. I can only teach parttime and I have to rest so much to be able to do that much. I love teaching and would love to be working full time, but it isn't a possibility right now nor do I see it in the future. I get teased by my family about having lots of time to do what I want and they don't really get it either.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you touched a nerve! How could I forget the people that say or infer "must be nice" re: my not working. Another thing for us to feel defensive about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's for sure! The only people who get it are the ones who see you every single day.

    ReplyDelete