Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I Am

Living with chronic pain has changed all aspects of my life. Back in the day I would have described myself as creative, caring, active, energetic, dedicated, professional, animal lover and social. Six years into my Chronic Migraines and Fibromyalgia I am no longer able to do many of the things I used to love doing like directing theatre, working full time as a social worker, painting and drawing. Despite not being able to do these things I still retain some of those descriptors and have even added some. Today I would describe myself as creative, caring, dedicated, social, animal lover, blogger, wife and homemaker.

With some modifications I've been able to continue doing many things I used to love doing. The brain fog and trouble concentrating have slowed down my book reading. But I do still read books, just not nearly as quickly. Exercising is something I'm still able to do even though I can no longer work out as vigorously as I once did. I still walk, stretch, lift light weights and do gentle yoga. Even though I have lost my creative impulses that got me painting and drawing I am still able to be creative. Now my creativity is focused on more domestic projects like cooking/baking, designing, saving money and living the best I can.

The thing is, I'm still a person. I still want the best life I can have. I experience the whole spectrum of emotions and thoughts. I am me. Life with chronic pain has impacted the person I am by drastically impacting the way I live my life. But that can be said about other big life events like getting married, having kids, moving, etc. I am not just Migraines and Fibromyalgia but they are part of me.

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand this, and get what you are saying, as I have been in the same boat basically for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right: Our conditions have a great impact on our lives, but they do not define who we are!

    ReplyDelete