Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Beating the Late January Slump

Winter is kind of a bummer much the way summer is; the extreme temps, the utter pain of being outdoors, and the hassle of preparing to go out. For me, one of the biggest challenges to winter is all about motivation. It's all good until about this time of year because fall is so exciting. Immediately following you have the holiday season. Then you have the start of a new year. All of these times are filled with their own special unique motivations.

But by now, the fresh feeling of the new year has ended and I need to work on strengthening and enforcing those internal motivations that keep me eating healthy, exercising and plugging away at the whole relaxation/meditation thing?

What works best for me is watching a few documentaries about food, healthy and/or wellness. There are lots of great ones available streaming instantly on Netflix. Here are a couple of my favorites:

Ingredients
Deconstructing Supper
The Science of Healing with Dr. Esther Sternberg

These kinds of films help me remember exactly why I've made these changes and they breathe new life into my efforts. Plus there are lots and lots of them out there so throughout the year when I need a little boost there will be one available. As soon as I start thinking about my health and the wonders of healthy food, the exercise portion simply follows. For me they are two peas in a pod. Now I just need to figure out how to add more peas to that pod.

2 comments:

  1. Crappy weather gives me NO motivation. I just want to lay in bed under the covers. But hey...who am I kidding? I have no motivation even on a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for these suggestions. I can't wait to check these videos out. I love these kind of documentaries. :-)

    ReplyDelete