Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Ignorant Family Member

My cousin's new wife recently started a blog that I have been reading and enjoying. I thought it might be a good way to get to know her better since they live so far away and I certainly have learned a thing or two about her. Up until yesterday's blog post I felt like I was beginning to appreciate and even like her. But yesterday's post was downright offensive.

She sat up on her pedestal and insulted everyone from people who take classes online, to people with disabilities, people who need public assistance, people who have children without living in a single family home with a backyard and college savings accounts and even people who can't find jobs. Perhaps the worst part about this post was that she started off by saying that she knew she was going to upset people with her post but that she hoped people would read it with an open mind, compassion and understanding for her and her "truth". The irony, of course, was that she went on to display a complete lack of those three traits. Plus the topic was responsibility.

Obviously, I was personally offended by the horrible things she had to say about people with disabilities and wanted to shoot off an angry message to her. I didn't. Then I thought about how young and naive she is and thought what she really needs is someone to teach her why she is way off base in what she was saying. I stewed about it overnight and this morning and have decided that it isn't worth it. She may be part of our family now but honestly I won't be seeing much of her because they live so far away. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing here or not but I've decided that I just don't have the energy for someone like her.

She is family so I'll keep her as a friend on facebook but block her posts so she doesn't show up on my news feed. I won't be reading her blog anymore and I won't be going out of my way to make sure she is included in anything. I'll be polite to her at the rare family functions that we both attend but again won't be going out of my way.

Do you people like this in your family? How do you deal with them?

4 comments:

  1. Omg...I wanna know her blog site so I can read it!!!

    Its obviously a sign of ignorance and possibly age...although I don't know how old she is...and she seems to have unrealistic expectations!

    I have 2 children...live in a nice apartment that has a clubhouse, pool, gym, tons of other children and more yard than any single family home I'd be able to afford. I've utilized short term disability twice, and have taken many online college courses...what a disappointment i must be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my! I would have down the same thing that you did. I would have just ignored it and not read her blog anymore. I have family who don't understand anything about me, much less my illness. I get the usual, exercise more, get up earlier in the morning and go to bed earlier at night, eat better foods or eat this food or that food, it goes on and on. I tend to ignore them because no matter what I say, it doesn't matter. They only believe what they want to believe. I would do the same, be polite (which I am no matter how rude they may be) when i see them, but basically, ignore them a lot.


    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. This girl is about to get bitch slapped by Karma. How dare she say those things, whether in ignorance or not. I know someone in every one of those situations, or have been there myself. Sometimes in life you have to take what you get until you've learned what ever it is you are supposed to learn from the situation. And why down people who take online classes??? At least they are doing some college courses!

    She has much to learn... I feel sorry for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it really was kind of a surprise. Glad I don't have to see her much...

    ReplyDelete