Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A New Plan

For the past several weeks I've been trying to get a handle on the first step in the Attention Interpretation Therapy (AIT), which is just taking the time 4-8 times a day to focus your attention on something external. Weeks later I can tell you that I haven't even achieved a small grasp on this exercise.

I forget almost every day to do it even once a day and on the days I think of it, I usually forget after I've done it just once. It sounded like such a simple task, I can't understand why I haven't been able to remember to do it. Then again, I suppose that's why I need to be doing it.

I'm committed to doing this and have grown pretty frustrated that I can't seem to manage to integrate this one simple first step into my day. The way I see it, the only way to move forward is to completely abandon the idea that it is a simple first step that I can just start doing and instead spend some time each night making a plan for the day to come, which includes time set aside for doing this. I'm going to start writing it down and having it displayed. Hopefully then if I see it regularly it will remind me that I have this task to do.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with it M. Do you do other 'mindfulness' exercises?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like smart move: write it down and put it up where you can see it. I totally relate: I love yoga and how it makes me feel and do you think I can ‘member to do it every day even Once??~! hell no most days. It’s a mental block and if you figure out how to deal with it, I’ll put you on my Holiday Card List !!~!

    Seriously, if we can get over this hump, we can conquer the ... hmm, well, not the world but perhaps the Day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, I'm hoping to do more mindfulness exercises soon once I can get the hang of this first one.

    Lynda, I'm going to keep working on it and keep you posted :)

    ReplyDelete