Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Tahini Orange Cookies

My husband worked from home yesterday so I couldn't get my pictures uploaded until this morning. Sorry for the delay on the Tahini Orange Cookies. For those who don't know, tahini is made from crushed sesame seeds, sort of like a nut butter. It can be kind of spendy so this isn't something I make very often, but boy what a wonderful treat. Sesame seeds are super concentrated with protein and even have some fiber so tahini has all those benefits. Like all other nut butters it does have a fair amount of fat but it is the good unsaturated fat that our bodies really need.


This is a vegan recipe that I tried last year when I went vegan for a couple months (before realizing I needed dairy products to get enough calories). I'm always trying to put more weight on. Anyway, I wanted to try this one because it didn't call for an egg substitute. The tahini is pretty sticky so it doesn't even need a separate binding agent. Plus it has a really unique taste.




Tahini Orange Cookies
1 cup tahini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup raw sugar
zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup brown rice flower
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips


Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
In a large bowl whisk together the tahini, vanilla, syrup, sugar and zest.
In a separate bowl mix together oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips
combine wet and dry ingredients and refrigerate for an hour or so. Bake for 6-10 minutes. Every oven is so different.


By using pure maple syrup, raw sugar and brown rice flower you can make this a fairly healthy treat that doesn't cause a big swing in your blood sugar levels; but Mrs. Butterworth, white sugar and bleached all-purpose flour work too. Cheaper too :)

4 comments:

  1. I bet they taste yum. I make tahini biscuits (an Armenian recipe). They taste like halva!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - Now I have to wait till next week to buy some tahini....sigh. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might be a bit much for me to do! Haha! I still haven't tried the sweet potato pie yet. I wasn't kidding when I said I didn't cook! Well...except for the few things I make the boys during the week...but they're simple and kind of picky if I get too creative. Pasta and chicken work just fine for them! Me...I live on cottage cheese, fruit and hot tea!

    ReplyDelete