Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

sigh

My PT read something online about food allergies playing a part in migraines and now insists that I should try elimination diets starting with wheat and gluten.

sigh

First, I honestly don't know what I would eat if I had to eliminate wheat and gluten from my diet. Obviously people follow such diets and I would be happy to make such an extreme change in my life if it meant relief but (secondly) I don't really know that we have grounds for such an action. I don't know that I have an allergy or sensitivity to either of these things and wouldn't I go to an allergist before spending the next year of my life eliminating one thing at a time to see if that's the problem?

Have any of you had experience with this kind of thing?

4 comments:

  1. I have digestive issues from about four different reasons/diseases yet every so often a new doc will come up with gluten sensitivity/Celiac Disease. There is a blood test they do for that, and I had it ruled out YEARS ago. I even tried gluten free. Didn't help. Wished it had!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard that from so many people before about the gluten too! Why does everyone wanna blame the gluten? Because that's "the thing" right now? Look up Celiac's to see if those are your symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a gluten free diet for a few months. Didn't do anything to help, but at least I can rule it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cut out gluten completely, and it made a change. My quality of life went up, all the random aches and pains went away, all the stomachaches went away. It was worth it to me! And on a side note, I tested negative for both Celiac and food allergies. It seems my body does not have a measurable reaction to gluten in terms of medicine, but my body just doesn't like it. In the beginning, I had to be very strict about cutting out all forms of gluten, even cross-contaminated foods like a piece of chicken that fell on the counter and picked up crumbs or something. Now I've become more able to tolerate little things like that.

    In terms of affecting the migraines, it didn't affect the frequency, but the severity went down -- and again, my quality of life improved so much that it was ridiculous. It's easier to stand yet another migraine when your stomach doesn't hurt also, you know?

    ReplyDelete