Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

My First Migraine

Migraines have been a part of my life since I was quite young. My first one came one late afternoon in winter when I was in 3rd grade. The pain was absolutely overwhelmingly intense. Everything hurt. I remember curling into the fetal position on the floor of my mom's bedroom partly due to the pain but mostly due to the fear. I had never experienced a pain like this before and I was just certain it would kill me. I was silently crying, again from both pain and fear. But crying just made the pain even worse. Since my mom was still at work I dragged the phone onto the floor with me and called her office. She didn't have a direct line so the phone was answered by a receptionist. I tried to be calm and sound normal as I asked for my mom, but I know now I didn't do a good job of it. My mom talked some of the fear out of me, but there was nothing to do about the pain.

Over the years I've learned to live with my migraines quite well. That all changed about 4 years ago when they hijacked my life. They went from being an occasional event to a 5 or 6 a month. My doctor offered a prescription, which I declined. Then it became a weekly event and again my doctor offered a prescription. After 3 offers I decided to take my doctor up on her offer for Imitrex. It wasn't long before they were a daily event. The journey to find my way through this is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment